Saturday, December 19, 2009

Okay, so I changed my mind. Again.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" - Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm hoping that includes those who have changed their minds a million times. But look, I am 23. Thats my job - get over it. Hehe.

Okay so far my desired career path has been this: Teacher -> Spanish Teacher -> Aviation Management Major -> Pilot -> Aviation Management -> Spanish Teacher -> Psychology Teacher -> High School Counselor -> ??????? -> Air Traffic Controller -> Now.

So basically I have always either wanted a job in aviation (which is a DUH moment if you've ever read my blog), or a job where I get to help people (teacher/counselor). Aviation means questioning your morals at times, which is really hard for me to do. It also involves sales, which I hate, and shmoozing, which I hate even more. Plus the industry is dead at a time where I need to be on a path to making a decent income for my family, and it's just not happening right now.

Teaching...If I were to be a teacher, I would want to be a damn good one. That would mean me teaching something I am good at and something I am interested in. The only things were Spanish - which I have forgotten a lot of - or Psychology. Unfortunately I'd be hard pressed to find a high school that offers a psychology program, and getting my masters is not in the cards for me anymore. I just dont have time.

You have to have a masters to be a high school counselor...so there goes that.

After some soul searching, I realized what is important to me in a job. That is helping people. Whether it's making their experience better, making them feel more comfortable, teaching them something. Whatever it may be it is in my nature to help people...I actually CARE about people. I can see beyond the surface and know when something isn't right - and when I do, I always want to try to fix it. If I can make decent money doing it, and finish the program in less than 3 years then I am all over it.

I've found that calling. I know what I want to do. I want it so badly that I am not even going to reveal what it is I want to do, for fear of having to tell you that I wasn't accepted into the school. Another indicator to me of how right this is for me is that I can't even apply to the school for another semester, I have to backtrack and take a bunch of lower division courses again, and I am totally okay with that! (Usually I am an instant gratification kind of person...if I have to backtrack or am expected to be patient and wait to do something I won't do it).

I know I have 3 followers, but if you read this...PLEASE send me some good vibes. I need it. It's going to be a bit of a journey to even get into the school - let alone COMPLETE the school. So wish me luck!!

-B

1 love notes:

The Sayer Family said...

Sorry I'm not one of your "followers" but I do follow your blog from time to time :) I know what you mean about questioning your morals in the business, it's a hard thing for me to do to "fib" because it's my job. Good luck with your new ???? I'll send you good vibes ~ Megan